Radiology CME is a hot topic. Radiologists need to constantly stay apprised of changes in technology and best practices in their profession. Many times online radiology CME courses will offer the information needed, eliminating the need to travel and making it easier and less expensive to stay up-to-date. Here’s what you need to know about the best online Radiology CME offerings.
Radiology is a practice that requires the constant stream of new information. Diagnosing disease and injury through highly advanced imaging like CT and MRI scans, nuclear medicine, PET scans and 3D mammography requires constantly updating one’s knowledge of the technology and its application as a diagnostic tool. Radiologists are on the front lines working with patients and using minimally invasive procedures to treat and diagnose aneurysms and tumors, conduct biopsies and focus highly advanced laser cancer treatments like proton therapy. The latest information on revolutionary advances and innovative technology is essential.
The American Board of Radiology maintains the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) and CME requirements for radiologists. In addition, the state in which a radiologist practices may have its own requirements for CME. Regulations vary widely so it’s important to be clear on what they are in your state; check with the medical licensing board and/or your state medical society in the state in which you practice. You can also check out our State CME Requirements guide to find the exact number of credits you need to earn deemed by your state.
Not only is it necessary to acquire knowledge to remain clinically acute, it is also required to maintain one’s board certification. This can be difficult in the fact of hectic work schedules, however, on-demand learning can ease some of the pressure. Online and video CME programs in radiology make it easier to acquire information without the travel and expense required to attend conferences. Here are examples of the different types of online CMEs that are time efficient and effective.
Online bundles represent efficient, one-stop shopping and offer several review packages in one. For example, the Oakstone Radiology CME Online Bundle offers two comprehensive review packages in one. Evidence-based information is presented based on UCSF (University of California, San Francisco) Radiology and Biomedical Imaging experts. The bundle includes:
- Two comprehensive review programs featuring nearly 200 lectures and covering 10 radiology subspecialty areas
- An $800 Amazon.com gift card
- Unbiased content to help you prep for the boards and stay current without the need for travel or time away from your practice
- Instant online access to key clinical updates to improve overall patient care
- The opportunity to earn up to 69.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™ combined
- Credits can also be used toward the ABR's MOC Part II requirements
Another great option for earning Radiology CME credits online is Practical Reviews. Practical Reviews present expert reviews of the most relevant articles from leading medical journals in Radiology. The reviews summarize the information so that important facts are easily reviewed and absorbed. Practical Reviews is available online for busy Radiology professionals. Here’s how it’s done:
An expert medical faculty conducts a comprehensive review of hundreds of articles from current leading medical journals for radiologists. Knowledge leaders summarize the most relevant medical research for radiologist to review at their convenience. The experts add commentary with perspective to aid in the application of the review findings in everyday practice.
Practical Reviews in Radiology offers:
- Up to 20 articles summarized in each issue, each with an expert audio review
- Online quizzes and instant pass/fail notification
- Instant access to our database of Radiology journal reviews
- 14 issues annually
- Ability to earn up to 70 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Online CME board reviews are eligible for CME credits, just as conferences and seminars are. When CME board reviews are offered online they become even more convenient.
For example, the BoardVitals Radiology CME activity is an online self-assessment course that includes the following:
- Access to 1600 Radiology Board-style review questions targeted to the ABR Radiology Recertification Exam.
- Evidence-based rationales and detailed explanations included for all answers with references.
- Earn up to 60 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Qualifies for 5 Mammography (Breast) Specific CME hours as well.
- 24/7 access from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Up to a Complementary $2,500 Amazon Gift Card or Visa Prepaid Card with purchase of the CME Bundle
- Bonus: Radiology MOC activity qualified by the American Board of Radiology for up to 10 SAM Credits.
When it comes to Radiology CME, more information is better. Online Radiology CME courses can help you easily maintain your CME and make sure that your knowledge is as advanced as the technology you use on a daily basis.