Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine MOC Sample Question 1
The following polysomnogram was obtained from a 50-year-old man with a history of excessive daytime sleepiness. Channels highlighted in purple (top to bottom) represent ROC-A1, thermistor, thorax, abdomen, left leg, and right leg. According to his wife, the patient experiences leg jerking during sleep. What condition is demonstrated in this study?
- AObstructive apnea
- BCentral apnea
- CMixed apnea
- DRestless legs syndrome
- EPeriodic limb movements of sleep
Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine MOC Sample Question 2
A man with a diagnosis of obesity hypoventilation syndrome (OHS) is undergoing a bilevel titration. His prior diagnostic sleep study revealed severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). After 2 hours of the study, the patient is on IPAP 14cm H2O and EPAP 10cm H2O. No obstructive respiratory events or snoring have been observed since increasing the pressures to these settings 30 minutes ago. The patient’s baseline oxygen saturation is 85%. Summary graphics of the first 2 hours and a tracing are provided below. What is the next step by the technician?
- AObserve at current pressure
- BIncrease inspiratory positive airway pressure (IPAP)
- CIncrease IPAP and expiratory positive airway pressure (EPAP)
- DStart supplemental oxygen
Provide your email to see your results and get exclusive discounts on additional board review questions.
BoardVitals Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine CME Pro Plus offers more than 600+ peer-reviewed online case-style questions that will help you prepare for your board exams and stay up-to-date on relevant Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine topics including Obstructive Lung Disease, Cardiovascular Disorders, and Gastrointestinal Disorders. Also, get up to a free $2,500 Amazon or Apple gift card and earn 40 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM and 40 ABIM MOC Points.
Key features include:
- Up to a Free $2,500 Amazon or Apple gift card with purchase
- 40 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
- 40 ABIM MOC Points
- Up to 24-month access
- Online Convenience: Computer, phone, and tablet access
- 600+ up-to-date Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine board review questions with evidence rationales and detailed explanations that help prepare for your board exams.
- Complete your requirements quickly and easily on your own time, online, from your phone, tablet or laptop, and correct wrong answers as you go
- Content from medical experts including top faculty contributors and leading publishers, and over 500 specialists
“BoardVitals provides one of the best ways to complete board prep in Critical Care Medicine. I am positively impressed by the quality of the questions and breadth of the knowledge being tested by BoardVitals. I wish I had access to a similar question bank in my past and I am very glad this is an option for prospective board takers.”
Krzysztof Laudanski, MD, PhD, MA, Assistant Professor, University of Pennsylvania