Sleep Medicine Board Review Sample Question 1
A 53-year-old woman presents with insomnia. She has a history of hypothyroidism, and recent thyroid function tests were normal. The patient reports lifelong intermittent sleep-onset and maintenance insomnia, which has been persistent for the past year after transitioning to a new job. She reports a high level of job-related stress in the first 1-2 months after starting her new job, but she states that her current level of work-related stress is low. The patient’s main source of anxiety is her insomnia. When trying to fall asleep, she worries excessively about getting enough sleep and the impact of her insomnia on her ability to function the next day. She reports a “bad experience” with zolpidem in the past and does not wish to take any hypnotic medications going forward. The patient denies snoring and has a BMI of 22. She denies sadness or anhedonia and reports regular bed and wake times. What is the next step in management?
- APolysomnogram (PSG)
- BCognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBTI)
- CInitiation of antidepressant
- DInitiation of hypnotic besides zolpidem
Sleep Medicine Board Review Sample Question 2
A 45-year-old male presents with sleep-onset and sleep-maintenance insomnia for the past month in the setting of a divorce. The patient’s primary medical doctor gave him a prescription for zolpidem. He has taken zolpidem 10mg for the last 5 nights and reports resolution of his sleep-onset insomnia but persistent difficulty remaining asleep until morning. The patient’s bedtime is 10:00pm, and his alarm is set for 6:00am. He does not nap during the day. When he does not set his alarm, he wakes by 6:30am. Which option will optimize this patient’s acute insomnia treatment?
- DZolpidem extended-release
- ELight therapy
Provide your email to see your results and get exclusive discounts on additional board review questions.
BoardVitals Sleep Medicine CME Pro Plus offers more than 700+ peer-reviewed online case-style questions that will help you prepare for your Sleep Medicine board exams and stay up-to-date on relevant Sleep Medicine topics including Movement Disorders, Insomnias, and Parasomnias. Also, get up to a bonus $2,500 Amazon or Visa Prepaid Card and earn 45 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM and 45 ABIM MOC Points with this bundle.
Key features include:
- Up to a Bonus $2,500 Amazon or Visa Prepaid Card with purchase
- 45 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
- 45 ABIM MOC Points
- Up to 24-month access
- Online Convenience: Computer, phone, and tablet access
- 700+ up-to-date Sleep Medicine board review questions with evidence rationales and detailed explanations that help prepare for Sleep Medicine board exams
- Complete your requirements quickly and easily on your own time, online, from your phone, tablet or laptop, and correct wrong answers as you go
- Content from medical experts including top faculty contributors and leading publishers, and over 500 specialists
“Your question bank has been so helpful for me. I can't thank you enough! ”
W. Cipriani, MD