USMLE Step 1 Sample Question 1
A 67-year-old male who was recently diagnosed with colorectal cancer presents with fever and shortness of breath that started 2 days prior to presentation. The patient also noticed that his hands are “more red than usual” and there are painful lesions on his fingers. The cardiovascular examination is remarkable for a holosytolic, “blowing” murmur best heard in the mitral area which was not present during prior examinations. Preliminary results of the blood culture are positive for gram positive cocci. Which of the following organism is most likely responsible for patient’s disease?
- AStaphylococcus aureus
- BStreptococcus viridians
- CStaphylococcus epidermidis
- DStreptococcus bovis
- EEikenella corrodens
USMLE Step 1 Sample Question 2
You are called to see a 17-year-old female patient who took the remains of a bottle of extra-strength acetaminophen 13 hours prior to arrival. She currently is diaphoretic and nauseated. Her serum acetaminophen plasma concentration is 38 micrograms per milliliter. Which of the following statements are correct with respect to this patient’s condition?
- AN-acetyl cysteine should not be administered because her plasma acetaminophen level is below the line of Rumack-Matthew Line
- BA better estimate of the amount of acetaminophen ingested by this patient could `have been obtained an hour post-ingestion
- CLiver function abnormalities will peak in the next 12-24 hours
- DGastric decontamination with activated charcoal will reduce further absorption of acetaminophen and has been shown to improve outcomes
- EAcetaminophen that is not excreted in the urine is metabolized to N-acetyl-p-benzoquinoneimine (NAPQ)
Provide your email to see your results and get exclusive discounts on additional board review questions.
Our USMLE board review questions are specifically written to simulate the complexity and time of the real questions on the exam. The real exam lets you move backwards and forwards from question to question, as well as correct old answers. Our system is modeled after this behavior as well. All questions are accompanied by detailed explanations and rationales.
- More than 1600 USMLE Step 1 questions
- Covers all categories presented on the Step 1 Exam
- Timed Mode and Review Mode available
- Individualized question recommendations based on your performance
- 100% Pass Guarantee!
Developed by top faculty and practicing physicians, BoardVitals helps thousands of doctors prepare for board certification exams and complete their CME requirements. BoardVitals is trusted by leading medical institutions including Harvard, Yale, Mt. Sinai, and Duke
“BoardVitals offers well-written practice questions with highly detailed explanations that help students review for Step 1. Even going over wrong answers helps students learn high-yield associations so that they know what key information to look for on the real exam so that you won’t get questions like those wrong in the future. BoardVitals offers both a tutor/review mode and a timed test mode to give students flexibility in practicing for the exam.”
Jess U., Medical Student