Risk Management Surgery CME Consult: Avoiding Surgical Systems Failures
Posted by...Bernard Sklar, MD.
CME Credit hours...6.0.
CME Credits Awarded by....Medical Risk Management, Inc.
Cost for Credit....$91.
Target Audience...Surgeons who want to limit their liability exposure and improve patient safety.
Educational material last updated...November 1, 2015.
Expiration of CME credit...October 31, 2018.
Upon completion of
Risk Management Rounds: Surgery, Second Edition
, you should be
1. Demonstrate how communication with patients can help improve patient care and prevent lawsuits.
2. Apply principles of informed consent, implied consent, and informed refusal in a variety of clinical situations.
3. Recognize and avoid situations, such as ghost surgery, that violate informed consent.
4. Maintain patient records in a manner that reduces the likelihood of medical errors.
5. Understand how the courts define a surgeon's duty in a variety of patient care situations.
6. Participate in the peer review process without needlessly increasing your own legal exposure.